Monday, April 4, 2016

Important Questions

  This morning as T.Mark, Amos and I were riding to school, we were listening to the song Our God by Chris Tomlin. I was talking to them about the lyrics: our God is greater, our God is stronger, our God is higher than any other. And about what that means.  I was trying to find words to put it into context for little hearts and minds.  I told them that even if they got hurt, or something scared them, that the Lord was bigger and stronger than any of those things.  That He is the Healer, who can kiss and heal bo-bos way better than Mama or anyone else.

   I was watching T.Mark's face in the rearview mirror.  I could see the furrow in his little brow as he listened to what I was saying.  He looked out the window quizzically and asked, "So was God sorry that I fell yesterday and had blood all over my knee?  Was God sad about that?"

   I always want to make sure I answer his questions thoughtfully, weighing carefully my responsibility to explain the character of the Lord to my children.  I know I will never do it perfectly, but I also know I am called to talk about it with them when we "sit at home, when we walk along the road, when we lie down, and when we get up."

    I told him that yes, God cares very much about when his children get hurt.  That He is right there with him all the time.  That He cares about if T.Mark is sad, and that He wants to hold and comfort him.  T.Mark then asked, "What does God say when I have a bad bo-bo?"  I told him that the Bible tells us that He is the God of all comfort and the Father of compassion, so I think that God probably says something like, "Come here and let me hold you, T.Mark.  I'm so sorry you're sad. I will heal up your bo-bo, because I can heal anything."

    I glanced back in the mirror at him.  The furrow was gone, and he had started to smile a little bit.  Then he shyly asked, "What does God say when I make silly faces?  Does He think it's funny? Does He laugh?"  I said, "Yes I think He probably does.  He takes great delight in His children.  So I'm pretty sure that yep, He laughs a lot with you when you are silly.  He is where happiness and joy come from."

    A realization was dawning right across his face.  There was an obvious change in his countenance.  A big smile had emerged, and his little eyes looked content.  Happy.  Secure.  Like a child who rests in the unconditional love of a parent.  T.Mark asks lots of questions about the Lord, and I often see the fruits of those conversations at a later time.  But this was the first time that I saw a light come on right in the middle of our discussion.  I am so thankful for my little boy and for the Lord giving him a desire to know more.  I know that on my own I will never be adequate in how I explain things to him, but I also know that the Lord will continue to equip me if I continue to ask Him to do so.

    I am thankful to have a God who is about the business of restoring broken things to be whole again.  He is the ultimate Restorer, Redeemer, and Healer. And who loves little children enough to call them to Himself, and to even proclaim that the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

 


1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! It's so neat to see spiritual things "click" with them! Also, have you heard of Rain for Roots? It's our absolute favorite. So much good truth!

    ReplyDelete