Sunday, September 13, 2015

Good Reads

I've been devouring books lately. You know when you're starving and you haven't eaten all day and you come in the house and sitting there on a plate from last night are some chocolate chip cookies you forgot about, so you grab several and just face cram them?
Ok maybe that's just me. Anyway--that's how I've been with books lately. I can't get enough of the written word. Here are a few of my recent reads: 
 

 

A laywoman's how-to for in depth study of scripture. Can't say enough good things about this little book.
"When women grow increasingly lax in their pursuit of Bible literacy, everyone in their circle of influence is affected. Rather than acting as salt and light, we become bland contributions to the environments we inhabit and shape, indistinguishable from those who have never been changed by the gospel."
 

 

Life. Changer. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. I actually did this one as an audiobook. Listened to it on the way to and from work over the course of a couple of weeks. I think this will be one of those books I'll read multiple times over the years.
"Most importantly, our greatest confirmation of the gospel is the community of the local church. Therefore, our best strategy for reaching the world is to fan that community into a raging inferno of supernatural witness that will be far more attractive than any adjustment to our music, small groups, or sermons could ever be."
 

 

This one is nonfiction, but reads almost like a suspense novel. It is at times sickening and certainly shameful that this work is all true. It is a reporter's account of the Ku Klux Klan's campaign against Jews in the American Deep South, specifically Mississippi. A sobering picture of a racist history. 

 


An instructive read with many gems of truth that are on occasion difficult to hear and quite a relief all at once. If you have a feminist bent, this one will fly all over you. My favorite part about it was the emphasis on serving your family with joy, even in the menial tasks. 

And lastly: 


 Sometimes the poignancy, longing, and sadness of a book can overwhelm you.  That was the case here.  And yet--there is a deep sweetness.

"'I never thought I'd hate to leave New York, but I do. I feel an unaccustomed sorrow not to be able to continue our friendship viva voce, and in the flesh, but these are the chances of life. But there is a deeper and happier chance which will keep us friends till death, don't you believe? And we'll walk and talk again. Till then, Ken.' A postscript followed: 'Meanwhile there are letters."


Books. What a gift they are. They can transport us to other worlds, enrich our minds, lift our souls. Connect us to others.  I am so thankful for them.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment