Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Fahrvergnügen

   A few months ago I first learned the word "Fahrvergnügen". It is a German word meaning "the pleasure of driving a car", in particular a fast car. I love this word. Not because I love cars (I don't). And not because I love driving fast (I don't). But because I love words. 

  Anyone who is a student of languages knows that in translation, there is not always a 1:1 ratio when it comes to words. We don't have a particular, singular word in English that describes the joy of driving a fast car.

    Yesterday afternoon as I went on a short stroll, I ran into no less than five people I knew. I and my babies stopped by two different neighbors' houses for a visit, and were sent off with hugs and candy. The uniqueness of the word "Fahrvergnügen" came to mind, and I found myself wishing there were a word to describe the comeraderie and sense of family and connection that I feel in this neighborhood I love so much. 

    Another word that comes to mind along these lines is one describing an important, defining attribute of our Lord's character--the Hebrew word "chesed". Scholars have translated it as "loving-kindness", "steadfast love", and "mercy", but most admit that these translations are not quite complete, and that a full understanding of the word is not gained without further explanation. 

 My sweet girls' Bible study group is going through the book of Hosea right now, and my goodness is this aspect of the Lord's character highlighted in this book. We are planning on going through it intensely over the course of the next couple months. I have read Hosea many times, but never with the goal of a dedicated, in-depth study. I'm really excited about it. We had an incredible first meeting together and I'm looking forward to more! 


 Since my last post, several people have asked me how I have time to read so much. Two words for you. 

1) Multitasking 



2) Naptime: 



Thankful for these sweet, smart, talented girls: 


 I think my favorite rendering of "chesed" is "covenantal love". This describes the sureness of the Lord's love for his children, and the fact that he pursues us and refuses to let us go. We see God's love exampled in an extravagantly unimaginable way in this word, especially in Hosea. I have already seen in this short little book the persistent, unyielding, self-sacrificing, fiercely passionate love of my God. It is beautiful to behold. 

1 comment:

  1. I know one of those girls! The girl in the back left went to Millsaps, I think?

    ReplyDelete