Friday, December 19, 2014

Merry Christmas, Darling

   Christmas music is some of my very favorite. I start sneaking it in shortly after Halloween. Just in snippets. I start with Mariah Carey, All I Want for Christmas is You. That one pervades the season. Great for warming up the vocal chords. Then comes Elvis. Various and sundry hand picked songs particularly meaningful to me creep in next. So as not to attract too much dispute. We're close to Thanksgiving by this point. After then, it's a free for all. I listen to little else but Christmas music then, til the end of the year. All kinds. Classical. Country. Pop. R&B.

One of my favorite things about Carols by Candlelight, our church's Christmas program, is that it gives me a free pass to start listening to Christmas music in my car in August. No one can object! It's wonderful.

I've noticed this year that there are many Christmas songs out there with a tinge of sadness intertwined in their notes. Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenters. Blue Christmas by Elvis. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas--the original one, by Judy Garland. (Goodness that girl could sing, and make you truly feel something.) I guess it is only fitting, in this world anyway, that a season so full of joy and happiness has at its root a necessary sadness too. Sadness at unfulfilled dreams, lost loved ones, or other broken parts of this life. I am thankful to know that this world is not all there is. I'm thankful for the hope Christmas brings, and as this season ends, and buds into spring, and Easter, I am thankful for the cross and the hope it gives for the future.  To quote Tolkien, I know that in the end, "everything sad will come untrue". And I anxiously await.

But, for now, it's still Christmas. If you need me, I'll be in my car, blaring the speakers to Mariah Carey Christmas. 

I tried to upload our Christmas card but had trouble. So here is a picture of a picture. Merry Christmas yall!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment