Monday, September 1, 2014

Perspectacles

   I read a blog post the other day entitled Give Me Gratitude or Give Me Debt, from the Momastery blog. In it the woman talked about putting on "perspectacles" when assessing the things or situations in your life. In particular she was talking about her kitchen, after well-meaning friends had begun to suggest to her ways to update it. I identified with it for several reasons, one of which being that we are moving in a week (A WEEK!!!) and our new house needs a little updating. It is easy to think you need that granite countertop or new refrigerator right now, dangit. Seriously?? As she puts it when reflecting on her not so-nice, outdated fridge: "Inside my refrigerator is FOOD. Healthy food that so many parents would give anything to be able to feed their children. Almost 16,000 mama’s babies die every day from malnutrition. Not mine. When this food runs out, I’ll just jump in my car to get more. It’s ludicrous, really. It’s like my family hits the lottery every freaking morning."

In other, slightly more important news--say hey to this guy: 


We welcomed our little blonde haired, blue eyed heartbreaker last Sunday. Amos is 8 days old and I am in love. He is so very sweet. It's funny how they come out and you base all expectations for their behavior on their older sibling. Which is only natural I guess, but it's funny to be surprised again and again with Oh, so this little guy is a totally different person from his brother! Who would've thunk it?? 

He was born via C-section after an attempted VBAC. I am so thankful for a wonderful doctor, sweet nurses, and my supportive family. I really would like to record his birth story in more detail, because I don't want to forget. I'm not sure if I want to do that on the blog or not, but I will decide in the next few days. It was a very different experience from his brother's birth. 

Speaking of his brother, seeing them interact is one of the sweetest things I've ever seen. T.Mark is constantly wanting to kiss or hug him, or show him one of his toys. Melts my heart. 


 Amos, here are a few things we have discovered about you so far: 

1.You love to sleep! You sleep a lot, even for a newborn. More daytime napping than I remember T.Mark doing. And at night--well, I am getting spoiled. You have gone a couple of four hour stretches, a five hour stretch, and a 6.5 hour stretch!!! All that at a week old! I don't even know what to do with myself. Your brother woke up every hour on the hour for months! 

2. You are a great nurser. I am so thankful for that. I will brag a little-the lactation consultant at the hospital told me that if every one of her patients were like you, she'd be out of a job! The breastfeeding relationship between a mama and baby is such a sweet and unique one, and it lasts such a short time, relatively speaking. I am loving soaking up this time with you, especially those sweet little milk-drunk smiles! 

3. You love your big brother. You reserve your most alert times for interaction with him. When he talks to you close up, your eyes open wide and you focus better than you do at any other time. 

4. You are laid back. At least more so than your brother! When T.Mark was your age, he either had to be nursing or daddy was literally jogging in circles around the kitchen island holding him while listening to some kind of southern rock with the volume on loud. It was the only way he'd be calm. You, little one, are totally chill. I like to think that you are very contemplative! Whereas your brother would let us know in no uncertain terms when he was hungry, you politely request your milk with whispery, gentle little grunts. Sweet boy. 

I can't wait to get to know you better, my sweet Amos Jackson. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm sad for you that you weren't able to have your VBAC, but so glad you have a healthy (and beautiful) little boy!

    ReplyDelete