Saturday, July 19, 2014

Figs


  Figs. 

  I was googling them this morning and ran across an article that called them one of summer's most fleeting pleasures. They are extremely delicate and will start to spoil quickly after picked. I must admit I was quite unfortunately unaware of the delight of a fresh fig until a few years ago. However my love for them has intensified even more as of late, and I will never again live at a house that has no fig tree! Planting one will always be high priority. 


One article said this: "Figs are lusciously sweet and feature a complex texture that combines the chewiness of their flesh, the smoothness of their skin, and the crunchiness of their seeds. In addition, since fresh figs are so delicate and perishable, some of their mystique comes from their relative rarity."  

I think that is one reason why I love them so much. I love things that are unusual, and a little bit harder to find. And that applies in every area of life. Pearls are nice, but black pearls have always caught my attention more. I love horses of any kind--but palomino horses, the golden ones with white manes and tails, that are a little less common--have always captivated me. 

I'm not sure why that is--I just love the rare and unusual. 

Of course I love figs simply for their wonderfully sweet taste too. There is something special about enjoying a fruit in season, straight off the tree in your backyard. 

And then there are all the references to figs, fig trees, and fig leaves in scripture. Both Old and New Testament. My favorite scripture that mentions them is Habakkuk 3:17-19: 


"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places."


This makes me think of close friends and family who have gone through difficulties and how incredible it is to see how the Lord has sustained them. And even sweeter to see how they have praised him through and in spite of their circumstances. 


I hope you get to enjoy some sweet, fresh figs this summer.  I will be eating them with honey every morning til they're gone. Which won't be long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment