Monday, April 21, 2014

Reflections on Easter

Here are some pics from yesterday-one of the most beautiful Easter Sundays, weather-wise, that I can remember.

Our little fam, at Taylor's parents house right after church and before lunch:

At Angie's house, later in the day:

Easter bellies! Yay for new life:

All five of my sweet nieces:

  Yesterday was a particularly moving Easter for me. I don't know if it's because last year I didn't spend enough time on contemplating the season, or if it's because this year I intentionally spent more, or if it is just because of where I am in life. Maybe pregnancy has something to do with it. But I will say this--I have never felt the depth of sadness that I felt this Good Friday, or the height of hope that I felt on Resurrection Sunday. The reason for my hope. 

And I don't know about you, but I need hope. I am deeply, hopelessly, irreversibly in need of redemption. In need of a Savior. I felt the sadness and darkness of that on Friday. And of the knowledge that because of me, Christ had to die. Because of the messiness and blackness and ugly imperfections of my own heart. 

But Christ, to put it in the words of a song our choir sang recently, looked beyond my faults--and saw my need. 

Have you ever been in an argument with a friend, or spouse, or parent, and you were just absolutely foul? Bad attitude, negative tone, unkind words? And maybe it wasn't because of what it appeared to be. Maybe it was because of a deeper hurt that you could not or would not give words to. And you expected the other person to argue back in kind. The same intensity of negativity. But instead of the words you deserved, they spoke life to you. Compassion. Encouragement. Tenderness.

It will just about knock your socks off. 

That has happened to me before, more than once. Any time that happens, it makes me think of what Christ did, and does, for us. It astounds me every time. He looks beyond my ugliness and unworthiness and finds something worth redeeming. A precious child, fashioned after his own image. Something of beauty. He takes the blackness and speaks life, lifting up and recreating, justifying and then sanctifying. He looks at me through the eyes of the resurrection. The eyes of that glorious Sunday. Not Friday.   

And so: "Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks you about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it." 1 Peter 3:15. I normally read an NIV translation but I like occasionally to read others, like this New Living Translation, and see the variations. Sometimes it will hit me a little harder with a different wording. 

But back to the NIV for this wonderful truth of scripture, and again, the reason for my hope--Romans 5:8: "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

I pray that I will be one who lives in the light of and perspective of the resurrection. And that I will be one who looks beyond faults to see needs. And one who speaks life, as my Savior does.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking life to others... Wow, Catherine, if you only knew how much I needed to hear that message today. And with Divine timing, I got to hear that message spoken through you. You make my heart smile. Thank you! Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete