Sunday, April 6, 2014

Grass and Flowers

  I love April and May in Mississippi. When it's not raining cats and dogs or threatening hail, as it is tonight. This time of year everything is green and budding and promise is in the air. Promise of what, I'm not exactly sure. But there is an unmistakable feeling of hope woven into the newness of spring. Maybe that's why the Lord gives us seasons. He knows our hearts, and that we desperately need the refreshment spring offers. I felt this week almost like it was a precious gift, straight from a loving Father to an undeserving, but thankful child. He knew just what I needed.

Which reminds me of a song I love. If you've never heard the song Every Season by Nichole Nordeman, please look it up ASAP. It's beautiful.

Here is the first fig of the season on my little fig tree. I love figs. They bring happy memories and they are so sweetly yummy! They'll be ready in late July. I'm hoping to get out the ice cream maker my uncle gave us and make some homemade fig ice cream!

My sweet boy and I went on a nature walk/ hunt for the garbage man a few afternoons ago.  He heard the garbage truck across the neighborhood from inside our house and our activity for the next hour or so was immediately determined. 
  
That boy loves the garbage man. He was first on our prayer list tonight at bedtime. I never know who he will want to pray for first, but tonight the garbage man was requested at the top of the list.

Little shadow walking with mama:

 After the garbage man had been found and waved to, and after he had so kindly honked the horn (multiple times, I might add) for us, we headed to the farmer's market for some pretty flowers and some sweet basil. I had a great little helper for my planting:

There is something restorative, encouraging, and almost healing about digging in the earth with your bare hands and finding the perfect spot for some beautiful little pieces of creation.

Now--unfortunately, I have what I like to call a black thumb, so those same beautiful little pieces of creation may be brown and withered in a month or two--so I won't turn this into too much of a metaphor for fear of the consequences. Ha! I will just enjoy our sweet time of planting together for what it's worth! And for the simple comfort it brought me in the middle of a hard week. 

This stuff will be gracing plenty of tomato pies, sandwiches, and salads this summer:

Little helper:

 This weekend was fairly laid back. I taught an ACT workshop for high school students Saturday morning, and then T.Mark and I headed to Greenwood to meet Taylor for our friend Luke's wedding. T.Mark had a GREAT time due to the location of the reception. I will try to post a little about that tomorrow!  Church tonight was a little different but a great time of worship. 

Hope you had a good weekend and that you are feeling the sweet hope of springtime

"The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the Word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

No comments:

Post a Comment