Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sparklies

  We had a fun time ringing in the New Year in Oxford last night. It certainly was not glamorous but we had a great time. T.Mark and sweet Nora Lynn enjoyed playing together. I loved watching my little boy be so sweet to his friend!
 Right before this picture, he offered her some of his cracker and said, "Hey, darlin." Haha!! I was cracking up. Looks like we have a ladies' man on our hands.

  We weren't going out anywhere, but I decided I needed a little sparkle anyway. 

 We had called ahead to our favorite restaurant in town, and were lucky enough to be able to get their New Year's Eve menu--takeout! Now--I am easy to please, food-wise, but if I am totally honest, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a foodie. Unusual pairings and flavor combinations get me every time. I am just fine with a hamburger and fries, but if I get a chance to have a nice supper like this, I'm excited! 

 Somebody had a little trouble staying asleep and got to come sit with Mama as we finished dinner.

 We loved having the Guerieris with us! 



 After supper we just stayed up and talked while we watched the ball drop in NYC. And then yes, in case you wondered, I made it to midnight Mississippi time! 
  
  This morning we took our time getting up--well, as much as one can do that with a 19 month old and 15 month old--and hung around the house for a while. Then we decided to take a group stroll up to the square just for fun, and to get some fresh air. It was nice to see the square somewhat unpopulated. It was so quiet and calm. A rare occurrence these days in Oxford. 

The only store open was Square Books--just fine by me! This place is one of two favorite bookstores of mine (the other is Lemuria in Banner Hall in Jackson).  (Fun fact about yours truly: as a child, I was such a compulsive reader that if someone handed me a book, I could flip quickly through the pages and could tell by the smell of the book which bookstore or library in town it had come from.)

I know.

I'm a crazy person.


I've always loved the staircase to the upstairs part of Square Books, where you can buy coffee and sit and drink as you peruse. 

  I spent some time thinking back over 2013--and I am so thankful for what it brought. The Lord has blessed me far beyond what I deserve. I hope your 2013 was full of blessings as well, and I hope that will be just as true of 2014! 

No comments:

Post a Comment