Monday, December 30, 2013

Stroke of Midnight

 "If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever." Alfred Lord Tennyson

   I came across this quote as I was looking for a midnight pic to post in this New Year's Eve post, and thought it was so beautiful. I have always loved New Year's Eve. Certainly the idea of it. It is romantic, fun, and hopeful.  And, equally as important, it's an excellent excuse to wear a party dress and some sequins! ;) Now I'll be the first to admit- I am a bit of a Mamaw, and have fallen asleep before the stroke of midnight more than once. But not this year! I have already vowed it to myself. We will be ringing in the New Year in Oxford with our little fam and some sweet friends. With a toddler apiece for our families, it won't necessarily be glamorous--but I am really looking forward to it! 

I love the tradition of the midnight kiss to usher in the new year. There are countless movies that have commemorated and celebrated it. When Harry Met Sally may be my favorite:



  It is a symbol of hope and love and happiness for the days to come. I love the way this holiday is celebrated in our country--with family and friends gathering together in merriment, with gratitude for the past year's blessings and excitement for those in the future. 

I hope you are with the one you love this New Year's Eve night. If so, make sure to kiss them at midnight--and kiss them good! If not, whisper their name in the hopes that they are whispering yours too. And, if you are feeling lonely this year, for whatever reason-- remember that there is One who loves you, and pursues you, more infinitely, passionately, and completely than anyone on earth ever could. 

Happy New Year, y'all! Here's to 2014! 

No comments:

Post a Comment