Wednesday, December 25, 2013

So This Is Christmas

It was an exciting morning!
After breakfast at the Sledges, and some hangout time at our house for just our little family of three, we headed over to my parents' for lunch. They failed to inform us that it was a PJ friendly affair.
I told Dad this was the most interesting ensemble I've seen in quite a while! My sister came up with an AMAZING idea though for next year: instead of our usual big lunch meal, which is very similar to how we celebrate Thanksgiving, we will do a Christmas PJs and brunch celebration instead!

I am already eagerly awaiting this. I love a good PJ day.
 
Angie and me:
Mom and Dad gave us matching infinity scarves:
And they also gave us this very special gift. Our church building had some roof damage last year, and the roof has been being replaced for the last several months. The slate roof tiles from the old roof were apparently made available to church members. Mom and Dad got some, and then had my uncle, who is an excellent welder, make these little tables for us.

It made me cry as they explained the gift! It means so much to me to have a little piece of the church house I love so much. I was baptized there, discipled there (still am), Taylor and I were married there, and it is one of the greatest joys of my life to serve in various capacities there. My baby was dedicated to the Lord there. That place is such a big part of who I am. However--the best part of all that is--it is not because of the church house or building, which I do love so much. It is because of the Church. The people. The community of believers I am so thankful to be a part of, who continually invest in me and help me and my family grow in the Lord.

 

What a precious and thoughtful gift. Thank you Mom and Dad!

 

A message from my sweet boy--Take THAT, flu:

That smile melts my heart.

 

And, just for you--the tail end of the Christmas sunrise from this morning:

Sometimes as Christmas Day comes to a close, it is easy, and quite physiologically normal, I think, to experience a little bit of a let-down kind of feeling. So much anticipation has led up to this day, and now it is over. There are 364 more days until Christmas comes again. It is easy to let difficult thoughts, stresses, and even sadness overwhelm us as we move past the Christmas season and back into the "real world." But let me offer a word of hope for you (and me). What Christmas signifies actually IS the real world. Immanuel, God with us. The world we inhabit now is the transient and temporal one, the one that will fade away. "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." Philippians 3:20-21.
 
So let's look forward to that, sweet friends! And remember that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, and the one after that. And the one after that. I am thankful that His mercies are new EVERY morning. John 16:33 says, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment