Friday, December 27, 2013

NYC Part 2

Because my house became the sick house for a few days, I never did post about the rest of our New York trip. So here is the rest of the recap.

When I told my sweet friend Brittnye that we were going to see Beyoncé in concert in Brooklyn, her response was, "Oh my gosh. What do you wear to that??! Something gold and short and sequiny?!" Ha! So Brit, just for you, here is my attire for the night. I changed out of the sequined mini at the last minute. ;)


Taylor found this yummy Italian restaurant close to our hotel. They had the best marinated olives I've ever had! It's funny how taste buds change over time. Ten years ago I wouldn't touch an olive with a ten foot pole, and now I absolutely love them. Briny, salty yumminess.

All bundled up and ready to go! 

We took the subway over to Brooklyn and it spit us out right in front of the Barclays Center, where Beyoncé was performing. The show was incredible. The special effects, lighting, and sound were all pretty mind-blowing, actually. Beyonce's voice put all that to shame though. I do not necessarily agree with everything Beyoncé does, but vocally she is a hero of mine. The girl can sing. One of my favorite parts of the show was hearing her sing happy birthday off the cuff to a girl on the front row. It was the most beautiful I have ever heard that song sung in person, by anyone. I also enjoyed seeing how genuine and kind she really seemed to be, even from afar. 

The next afternoon we went by a foodie hotspot called Eataly. It is a fresh grocer and restaurant combo that is quite titillating to the senses. Everywhere you turn there are fresh fruits, cheeses, meats, and beautifully crafted desserts. There are four restaurants and a cafe within the complex. 

After puttering around in there for a bit, we met up with a friend from college, Sam, and his wife Richa and their little girl, Nandy. We walked around the corner to a more kid friendly burger joint and grabbed some lunch. Sam is in medical residency in New York, and Richa and Nandy had just returned from a trip to India to visit family, so it was nice to catch up with them.

We strolled through the Columbus Circle market and alongside Central Park. I really loved this picture of the frozen creek:


 I can never resist taking a picture in front of the huge tree at Rockefeller Center. It is one of the main reasons I love New York at Christmastime.

Our second and last night there, we got to take our friend Ashley out to dinner at Mr. Chow, an awesome Chinese restaurant that I've heard about for quite some time now. Ashley's fiancé had already headed out of town for Christmas, but she was staying another day to finish up work. She is a teacher in the Bronx. I am so excited about their wedding coming up in May! 

And then, a fun surprise--I ran into my friend Ruth at the check-in line at La Guardia on my way out of the city! I have not gotten to catch up with Ruth in years, so this was such a wonderful treat!   She has been living in Paris, London, and now New York over the last few years. She is fluent in French, and one of the smartest girls I know. She and I, along with two other friends, shared an awesome trip to New York together several years ago, so it was quite fitting to run into her there! We got to chat for over an hour as we waited for our flights. 

We both agreed that this was not our best pic ever, but I wanted to include it anyway so I will remember! 

  All in all, it was a great trip!  

No comments:

Post a Comment