Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Kisses and Irrecoverable Moments

This past weekend we were back in Oxford for the Arkansas game. I was able to steal some kisses from this busy little boy. 


The rest of the weekend he was either dancing:


Playing with Daddy: 

Watching the big boys play football: 

Or jumping in to hand off the ball:

My weekend was made when I almost ran smack into my precious friend Mary Catherine, and sweet baby Greer! I had not had the chance yet to meet this precious child, and it was such a joy to see how natural my friend is at being his mama. I do not get to see Mac as often as I'd like, but her friendship is such a sweet blessing to me. I can remember many ways over the years that she has challenged me and helped grow me spiritually. So thankful for her. 

  We left early Sunday morning to get back home in time for church. I was excited to have our friend, Marsha--who also happens to be our high school physics teacher!--bumming a ride home with us. She is another sweet friend who has had tremendous influence on my life, and I treasure any time I get to spend with her! 

    The ride home was a little more eventful than I would have liked, however.  T.Mark ate too big of a breakfast and got a little motion sick right as we stopped for gas and a snack. So his breakfast came right back up and ended up all over him, the car seat, the car...you get the idea. Poor Taylor was not feeling well already, and this just about did him in. Thank goodness for Marsha being there! I imagine helping clean up someone else's child's throw-up was not on her planned agenda for the weekend, but she selflessly stepped up to the task! 

    It's interesting--I had read an article just that morning by a missionary in Thailand about her awful smelling apartment, and about her praying to the Lord about it--because yes, He cares about even the little things in our lives!--and then her ensuing realization that her own sin is a stench in the Lord's nostrils. Well y'all, let me just tell you, that sweet baby's throw up did not exactly smell like roses. And it continued to not smell like roses the entire ride to Jackson. As I cleaned up the mess, and then rode on wishing (for once!) that I had a stuffy nose instead of clear sinuses--the reality of my own sin was again made fresh. But the beauty of that is that the more clearly we see our own sin and depravity, the more we acknowledge our need for a savior.  Jesus' sacrifice becomes all the more precious to me as I realize the depth of my need for Him. So I am thankful for the smelly ride home. It was actually a great way to prepare for Sunday morning worship! 

   And lastly-I wanted to share a quick story. I had an irrecoverable moment today at the office. I was able to share a little bit about the Lord with a patient. I get that opportunity from time to time. I am ashamed to say that there are more times I'd care to admit that I have shrugged off that feeling that He was prompting me, and have not shared Jesus with someone. I've kept Him to myself. The selfishness of that is pretty sickening, honestly, when I think about it. Thankfully time and time again He convicts me, and as life goes on He is emboldening me. "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. Do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord" 2 Timothy 1:7-8a. 

   This is a beautiful pic I snapped yesterday of the sunset. It is amazing how quickly the sky changes. I had to run to get my phone because I wanted to capture the sky exactly as it is in the picture, and I knew a minute later it would look totally different. An irrecoverable moment. 

May Jesus continue to embolden me to speak the truth in love and to live unashamedly for Him--both in word and in deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment