Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Random Thoughts

So I read a really interesting article yesterday in Time magazine by a guy named Lev Grossman-and it was all about the phenomenon known as "fanfic". Now, it may be that I am totally behind the eight ball on this one, but maybe I'm not alone. Have you heard of it? In a nutshell, fan fiction is basically stories and novels that make use of the characters and settings from other people's professional creative work. It is oftentimes pretty controversial stuff--some writers, like JK Rowling (Harry Potter) and Stephenie Meyer (Twilight) have embraced it and given it their blessing, while others feel it is a violation of copyright, and that their characters have been "kidnapped". To quote from the article: "You can see both sides of the issue. Do characters belong to the person who created them? Or to the fans who love them so passionately that they spend their nights and weekends laboring to extend those characters' lives, for free?" Must all art be original, or can some be a mixing, mashing, cutting, and pasting of what is already out there?
My first thought was towards the side of characters belonging to those who created them. Intellectual property and all. But then, consider--all the way back to stories like Vergil's Aeneid, which I read in my high school Latin courses--there was "fanfic", if you will. Vergil didn't create Aeneas out of thin air; instead, he plucked the minor character from Homer's Odyssey and created further adventures for him. Hm.

Food for thought.

On another note--I am SUPER pumped, nerd that I am, about my new purchase for our house! Taadaaa:

It comes with two separate top sections, so husband and wife can both use the same brush unit. It has a sterilization section to kill over 99% of any bacteria that may settle on your toothbrush during the day, and a two minute cycle so you can easily brush the recommended (by the dentist-me!) two minutes. It beeps every 30 seconds so you can adequately brush each quadrant. It even has a massage setting, to give your gums their ultimate circulation and healing.

I think I'm in love.

We have been busy around here, preparing for our Israel trip! I skyped for the first time today, with my BFF, Emily , which was awesome! Plus it killed two, actually three birds with one stone. We got to chat and see each other face to face, as well as practice singing the song we'll be singing for our sweet friend Lauren's wedding in a couple of weeks. Yay for Skype rehearsal! It also allowed me to go on and get set up so we can talk to our fam while we are 'cross the pond.

Our washing machine is kinda on the blink, and I need to be washing a LOT of clothes in the next couple of days-so y'all cross your fingers for me!

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts on "fanfic" are so interesting. I've heard of it before (in relation to tv shows I think) and I think it's a neat concept!

    ReplyDelete