Thursday, June 16, 2011

Productive in Portland

Contrary to what may appear, I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I have, however, entered the working world. Praise Jesus, school is behind me and I am FREE! I say that slightly in jest, but not really. I have been working almost a full two weeks and it has been wonderful. Challenging, yes, tiring, yes, but rewarding, YES! I have come home every day feeling like I contributed something positive to the world. I love what I do and am so excited to now be doing it in private practice.

Two weekends ago Dad and I headed out to Portland, Oregon, to check out some new dental equipment that we will be purchasing for the new office. We got to tour the factory where it is all made, which was extremely cool and informative. I had never been to any kind of factory before, so it really made me think about all the work that goes into everything we use every day. Even the chair I'm sitting in right now was manufactured at some point.

Here is a pic of us at lunch one day. This beautiful restaurant and vineyard is owned by the same couple who started and still own the dental equipment company. Theirs is really an American dream type of story-I loved hearing the history of their company and the hard work and ingenuity that is behind it.

Friday was a workday of sorts, but Saturday was a play day! Our equipment rep took us out to a beautiful place called Multnomah Falls:

And later that afternoon was a wine tasting with our whole crew at the Sokol-Blossar vineyard. Our dental assistant, Brittany, was able to come on the trip, and her opinion for some of the layout of our operatories for the new office was invaluable! Tim is the rep for the equipment company, and Martin and Greg are our local reps for distribution. They were a fun crew to be with all weekend!

If my blogging is sporadic over the next few days and weeks, it is simply because I am still getting used to this new routine! I don't have as much downtime at home for cooking and cleaning now, so I am still trying to work out a good schedule so that our home isn't a wreck and poor Taylor has clean underwear!

We have a few fun things coming up: tomorrow night we are throwing a going away party for our dear friend David Minto-he is headed to Shreveport, Louisiana, for his oral surgery residency. He will be there for SIX years! We will miss him but we look forward to him heading back our way in 2017! I have a feeling we will keep in touch just fine while he's gone. Saturday I am singing in a friend's wedding, and Sunday of course is Father's Day. We'll be celebrating at lunchtime with Taylor's parents and at dinner with my parents and family up at the deer camp. I will try to take some good pictures and recap. Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment