Sunday, March 27, 2011

Luck O' the Irish

So last weekend was the St. Paddy's Day parade in Jackson. Since it is known as one of the best and most fun parades in the country for this particular holiday, we certainly couldn't miss it! Honestly one of the best things about it for me is that I feel like it brings the whole city together. Downtown pretty much stops and the streets are taken over by families and floats and revelers. We started the morning off by a quick stop at our neighborhood gas station, where pretty much everyone was wearing St. Patrick's green. Taylor and some random dude were walking into the station from opposite directions at the exact same time--they met eyes, saw the mutual green-ness, and high fived. Unspoken comraderie. I guess that's the term I'm looking for to describe what the parade is. I love something that brings such a diverse city together! Fyi, I learned these few little facts about St. Patrick's Day this year (thanks, Wikipedia): it originated as a holiday to celebrate the arrival of Christianity in Ireland. I also learned that Irish folklore tells that one of St. Patrick's teaching methods included using the shamrock to explain the Christian doctrine of the Trinity to the Irish people. So there's your history lession for the day! We met some friends at Keifer's for an early lunch. We got there around 11 to beat the crowd--it's a pretty popular spot, especially when there is something big going on downtown. Haley and Chris were in town from Birmingham, which always makes me happy! Lauren and William, Ann Elizabeth, and Dana and Warren completed the crew. All the girlies: (sorry Ann, I didn't get one with your eyes open! ha!) A ton of people came out! This was at the very beginning of the parade, when the motorcycle-riding police officers all sped down the street in a line, weaving in and out. Taylor, Minto, and Chris. Taylor didn't find the green pants or wig he had originally wanted, but he was about as green as he could get! Green sunglasses, mardi gras beads, tie, etc.
By the end of the parade, the tree next to us had caught more beads than I had!
Pat and Taylor Lots of green! One of my favorite pics from the day-I love when Haley comes to town!
This weekend brought more fun activities--my cousin Dabbs got married yesterday! Our whole family was in town, and it was a celebration for sure! It was a sweet, beautiful ceremony, and the bride and groom were so happy! I will post pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment