Thursday, February 10, 2011

Winter Sure Has Been Here Awhile Now...

I knew that it has been too long since I posted when at a family birthday dinner tonight, Taylor's sweet grandmother (Hey, MawMaw!) me that she couldn't get my blog anymore on her Ipad. I asked what it said when she tried to get to it, and she said it just kept pulling up the post from the middle of January!

So, MawMaw, here is the new post as promised. :) Happy happy birthday to you--I hope you had a great one!

Here are a few pictures from my most recent trip--Washington, D.C., for Whit's bachelorette party! I know it seems far away, but it was actually a pretty central location for all of her bridesmaids. We seem to be scattered to the four winds! Birmingham, Chicago, Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans, D.C., New York, and Baltimore--to name a few.

We all flew into the city on Friday afternoon and straggled in one by one to Adrienne's apartment in Arlington. Our friend Shannon was so sweet to pick me up from the Baltimore airport (it was less expensive to fly into Baltimore, and it's only a short drive away) on her way in. We started the night of right with...
Karaoke!

We tried to lay low Friday night and get some good sleep for our busy day on Saturday! But we ended up going to a cute little Irish pub on the main street in Arlington (so pretty!) after Whit opened her presents. There was a guy playing the guitar and singing, and we got out on the dance floor even though everyone looked at us kinda funny. Carpe diem, right?

Opening presents:

Me, Whit, and Hales in the cab on the way to our champagne brunch the next morning, courtesy of Whitney's parents!

Our little New Yorker, Emily, and me. It was COLD that day! We were all bundled up.



Strolling the Georgetown streets:

I had seen the Georgetown Cupcake show on TV and was really looking forward to having one of their famous cupcakes...but the line was down the street and around the corner! I obviously wasn't the only one! Maybe next time.


On Sunday, several of the girls left early, but a few of us stuck around and headed back on Monday flights. So we were able to do a little exploring--starting off with the Holocaust Museum. For anyone who is a regular reader of this blog, you might remember that Taylor and I went to DC back in September. We did go to the Holocaust Museum, but we ran short on time and didn't get to the last two floors of the museum. So I was really excited to be able to go again so soon. I spent a lot of time this trip on those last floors. One of them was a tribute to the people who ran the "Underground Railroad" of sorts for the Jewish people who escaped, or attempted to escape, capture by the Nazis. A well-known example would be the people who helped Anne Frank and her family as they went into hiding for what must have been the longest two years of their lives. It was so moving to read the stories of all these brave and courageous people. It was inspiring...I would hope that I would be one of them had I lived in that time and place.


Then it was on to the American History Smithsonian so Whit could see Julia Child's kitchen! I had to snap a pic of our pastry chef in front of the famous cook's kitchen:




In other news, well...really there isn't any other news. I feel like my life has been one big whirlwind. I need to stop and smell the roses a little more. We seem to pack a lot into a short amount of time! I have my day job, aka dental school, and my night job: wedding parties! I'm tellin' y'all, it's crazy. So many people getting married! Something in the water down here, I guess. I love it though. And speaking of, we are pumped about Whitney's wedding and the surrounding festivities this weekend! I will be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them when it's all over.

Tomorrow is National Give Kids a Smile Day, and everyone associated with the dental school is getting there super early in the morning to start receiving the 1,000 elementary school students who will be coming through our doors tomorrow for treatment! For a lot of these kids, this will be the only time this year they will see a dentist, so I'm really excited about giving them a good experience, so they will want to seek dental care in the future, and also assessing their needs and hopefully being able to take care of some of them.
So I guess I'd better head to bed so I will be chipper and cheery for all those smiling faces! Looking forward to that followed by the bridesmaids' luncheon and rehearsal dinner for Whitney. Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment