Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Clean Slate

There's something extremely refreshing about a brand new year. We've all indulged--at least I have--in around six weeks of cookies and casseroles and comfort. We've stayed inside, around fires and family, drinking hot beverages and watching movies. It's so interesting how the second that new year hits the calendar, I start to crave routine. And vegetables ("Thank goodness," sayeth my pants).

I certainly was not excited about getting into the swing of things back at school, after that lovely Christmas break, but, somehow--it's just good, ya know? It wouldn't be right to stay in holiday mode all the time. In fact, that's one of the reasons the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons are so beautiful--they are a very special time of year that only comes around every 12 months! Something to look forward to, to re-center and ground us.

I find myself gravitating towards "resolutions", of sorts, even though I didn't really intend to make any this year. I find myself inherently and subconsciously laying out ways I can make my life better, richer, more selfless, perhaps. I'm really looking forward to a lot of things this year.

2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." The freshness and renewing of our lives is a Biblical concept as well. His mercies are new every morning!

This year, Lord willing, will bring many changes--one of which will be my graduation and entrance into the working world! I can't believe it has been almost four years since I started dental school--in some ways, it seems to have been an eternity; in others, the time has flown by. I also have a lot to look forward to this year. In the short term--this weekend, I'll actually be headed up to D.C. again, this time for Whitney's bachelorette party. Soon after that, I'll be taking a week from school to do my private practice practicum--I'm going to use that time to get to know the ins and outs of my dad's dental practice. And later--a big trip that I don't think I've announced on the blog yet (forgive me if I have)--Taylor and I will be going to Israel this summer!!! It is a mission trip with our church choir. We'll be visiting many of the important sites of Biblical times--Nazareth, the Mount of Olives, the Church of the Nativity (Jesus' birthplace), Bethlehem, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Jordan River. We are BEYOND excited about this opportunity to serve and to see this part of the world.

Of course, there are miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before then. I will be taking my clinical national boards the first week in March, and doing my best to finish up all my dental school requirements between now and May. It seems like May is a ways away, but I know the time will fly by. I'm thankful though, that right now I feel like I've been scrubbed fresh and I'm ready to take on the new year!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Just popping in to say hello and I hope your year is off to a great start:)

    ReplyDelete