Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas Recap

Well, Christmas has come and gone--seriously, how did it go so fast??

My family has never had a special, set-in-stone Christmas Eve tradition, so it has actually worked out just wonderfully that my parents have joined the Sledges in theirs! My sister's and brother's families are with their respective in-laws on Christmas Eve, so my parents now come with us! The tradition is the attend the candlelight Christmas Eve service with Mark and Lisa and Mark's parents at their church, then head back to the house for some DELICIOUS homemade gumbo. This year Lisa served crabcakes as the appetizer and they were so yummy! The gumbo was outstanding, as usual. I love that I married into a family of great cooks! Now if they would just rub off on me...

Taylor, Trav, and me with MawMaw and Grandaddy:

Beautiful tree!
It's also the Sledges' tradition to open Christmas gifts to each other on Christmas Eve. Since Mom and Dad were there too, we went on and gave them their gift as well. I was SO excited to give them and Mark and Lisa their gifts--I made a photobook of our deercamp, Fairview, for my parents, and one of our Paris trip for Mark and Lisa.
Cute dads:
And cute moms!

Taylor making fun of my profession with the meat injector Santa brought him! Crazy boy.


The next morning we woke up, ate a leisurely breakfast, and opened our gifts to each other. I tried to make a special breakfast for us--my Granny's cathead biscuits. I failed. Miserably. As Taylor said, they looked like really overweight pancakes. Ha! I still can't figure out what I did wrong....it's one of those things where you kind of have to know what you're doing, because there's no real recipe. And, obviously--I don't. I will have to get a little help from Dad next time. But hey, the bacon and cheese grits we had instead were still pretty good!
Then it was off to Mom and Dad's for exchanging presents with my side of the fam. As our family has grown, we've started drawing names. I drew my sister-in-law, April, this year, and Taylor drew my niece, Olivia.

Anna and Beth pumped over their loot:

Olivia and her new DSI game:


Ang, Neil, and me:


April modeling her gifts! We had gone shopping for the purse a couple of days earlier so she could get just the right one. But I wanted something for her to open under the tree, so when I saw this apron, it was just too cute to pass up. I know she loves to bake with her girls, so hopefully she will get some good use out of it!

The boys:

Me and sweet Ted:
My Daddy and his daughters:

I hope you had a merry merry Christmas, and that you have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment