Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vocal

So I've been pretty vocal this week. In several different ways. I guess it's been the theme of the week, you could say. I will keep this section of the post short, because I don't want to complain or be negative (there's enough of that in the world, right?), but I agree with my friend Sarah Denley that a certain degree of transparency is necessary on a blog if you want it to have any value.

The last week or so has been very hard, school-wise. I've had to deal with a couple of difficult situations regarding faculty members and the dental school in general. But I have been really proud of myself for sticking to my guns and for standing up for myself and for students at the school in general, and for speaking up even when it's easier to stay quiet. There are several faculty members at the dental school whose "mama didn't raise them right" as we like to say here in the south, and sometimes they enjoy making life miserable for the students. I have to make it a constant prayer that I will look at each encounter with faculty members (and others) at school as an opportunity for God's grace in my life, and not as a burden or something to be afraid of.

Ok, done! :)

On to other, more trivial news: all of my favorite shows start back this week! I have to say, last year I got wayyy too addicted to wayyy too many shows. Usually I have only one or two that I love to watch, but last year that turned into four or five! This is NOT going to work with boards coming up in November! But--that's why someone invented Tivo, right? My favorite shows, in no particular order: Biggest Loser, Glee, Brothers and Sisters, and Desperate Housewives. Also......Secret Life of the American Teenager. I know, I know, go ahead and make fun of me. Taylor does. I just can't help it--it's so addictive! I guess the whole Tivo thing really has contributed to the problem though in a way....I am (contrary to how it sounds) not that much of a TV person, but with Tivo you can watch anytime! My routine now is to record the shows I like and instead of watching a lot of TV on weeknights, watch them early on Saturday mornings while I am cleaning the house or folding laundry and Hibernating Bear (his morningtime name) is still sleeping. I love to get up early on Saturdays and get stuff done around the house, and he loves to sleep in, gloriously late. So it actually works really well! As long as I don't pull out the (very loud) vacuum cleaner. I've never discussed it with him, but that may actually be grounds for divorce.

Hope you are having a great week! I'm off to study!

PS: Good, healthy dinner tonight: I took every leftover veggie I had in the fridge, chopped them up and roasted them! I ended up with a huge plateful--it was so filling, and I felt so good about eating such a healthy dinner!
And a new snack recipe, fyi: Kale Chips! Chop up a bunch of kale, toss with olive oil and salt, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Yum! Really good and good for you!

3 comments:

  1. ha...i love that you watch "secret life"...i do, too! i try to stay away, but then i want to know what happened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your classmates! Ive always felt like you were an advocate for others and that is a GREAT thing!

    I watched the first season of Secret Life and then kinda burned out. I should probably start back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the nickname, "Hybernating Bear." Classic!

    ReplyDelete