Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Review!

I recently read this book:

Now I know that for some people, the book was controversial. Reason being, it takes the truths of the Bible, the Trinity in particular, and applies them in an allegorical form. The story is a gripping one: a man has lost his youngest daughter in a horrible abduction incident. (My sister-in-law, from whom I borrowed the book, warned me of this ahead of time. She and my brother have four little girls, and I think this part of the book must be terribly difficult to read if you have small children. It was hard for me and I don't have kids yet!) The rest of the book is how he deals with himself and with God in relation to such an awful event in his life. The main character, Mack, is a Christian, but after the incident with his daughter, he finds himself distanced from God and not really desiring to return to a close relationship with Him. He is full of distrust, hurt, and bitterness. One day a note appears in his mailbox, a note that he believes either is either a terrible joke or a letter from God.

I won't give away any of the rest of the story, but I must say that I thought it was an excellent read! I devoured it in less than two days, and it was a huge encouragement to me in my daily quiet times and relationship with the Lord. Now, I won't say that you should take letter for letter the theology of the book and write it in blood or anything, but I think that it may be a huge encouragement to someone who feels that God is a formal, faraway, impersonal deity who cares nothing about them and their everyday life and concerns.

I don't want to give away any more details of the story, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

I haven't been reading as much as I'd like in the last well, three years, really (isn't that sad?) because of dental school. My brain has been on such information overload that I can't even bear to open another book when I get home. But now that I am in such a clinically focused time in school, and have been for about a year, I think my brain has had time to refresh and heal itself and I'm ready for reading once again! It truly is one of my favorite things to do, plus it is so good for your brain! And your vocabulary. I'm kind of a vocab snob. I like to know lots of words and be able to use them frequently. That's my little competitive, bossy 5th grade former self coming back out. If I start trying to dominate the four square court on the playground again, somebody stop me.

Speaking of school and reading, I need to get back to it! This weekend commences operation Study for National Boards Because They Are Scary and Coming Up Soon. Also known as SNBBTASCUS. Just kidding. But for real about the studying and starting NOW. I'll be taking the test in mid-November, and will be trying to balance classes, seeing patients, and studying between now and then. Please pray for me if you think about it!

Off to hit the books for a bit, then a Mexican dinner with our friends Lane and Bo! Hope you have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. i haven't read the shack, but plan to at some point! i'm half way through the help right now - it's getting really good. my major problem is finding the time! between taking care of your dad (ha), mary peyton, tommy, TRYING to keep our house half way descent....there ends up being no time for me!

    oh - and where is the song you and taylor recorded together? your dad told me to be watching for it and i want to hear! =)

    see you soon - and i'll be praying for your with boards, etc., etc. this, too, shall pass.....

    mmmuuuaaahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!!!!!!!!! And I am by no means a big reader at all!! I read it on our vacation and literally sat and balled my eyes out on the beach by myself..ridiculous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told you it was a good book!!! For once I actually read a book before you! haha : )
    Love,
    Yo CUZ

    ReplyDelete