Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thought for the Day

An excerpt from my devotional book for the day (which, fyi, is Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I have been going through this as well as Beth Moore's The Beloved Disciple, somewhat sporadically):

"I am calling you to a life of constant communion with Me. Basic training includes learning to live above your circumstances, even while interacting on that cluttered plane of life. You yearn for a simplified lifestyle, so that your communication with Me can be uninterrupted. But I challenge you to relinquish the fantasy of an uncluttered world. Accept each day just as it comes, and find Me in the midst of it all.

"Talk with Me about every aspect of your day, including your feelings. Remember that your ultimate goal is not to control or fix everything around you; it is to keep communing with Me. A successful day is one in which you have stayed in touch with Me, even if many things remain undone at the end of the day. Do not let your to-do list (written or mental) become an idol directing your life. Instead ask My Spirit to guide you moment by moment. He will keep you close to Me."

Listed as references are 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which says, "Pray without ceasing" (easiest memory verse of all time!), and Proverbs 3:6, which says "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will direct your path."

Well, that certainly hits home with me! I desperately yearn for a simplified lifestyle. Some days--and today was one of those days--my brain is moving at such lightning speed all day, trying to cram way too much into an 8 hour day at school, that by the time I leave, I have a horrible headache and can't even focus on anything else until I sit down and close my eyes for a little bit. Like tonight--I had a mental to-do list of about 15 things I needed to do before I sat down to relax. And I didn't even get home til after 9 pm! Cramming crazy amounts of events, tasks, etc, into small amounts of time are a function of my personality--but it doesn't have to feel like a rat race. Perhaps if I didn't concentrate so intently on everything that needs to get done, my eyes would be much more open to the opportunities and tasks that the Lord puts in front of me every day. Something to think and pray about!

PS--for anyone who saw my last post--Taylor's grandmother did very well in her surgery, and she started physical therapy today--she's already been up and walking! Modern medicine truly is miraculous.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I struggle with this SO much, Catherine. Even though I can be kind of lazy, I'm also such a "Martha" with an agenda for each day. I need to spend more time just being in the presence of God.

    Also, I tagged you for a little survey on my blog. Do it only if you have time ;)

    ReplyDelete