Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Fat Lady Sings

....and the pigs fly, and hell has frozen over, people, the SAINTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!! I would like to clarify--I have always been a football fan, and I've always been a fan of the Saints in some way. My Dad spent 3 years as a chemist in New Orleans before he went to dental school. I have always gone to New Orleans for fun girls' weekends, random shopping trips, etc. My husband Taylor's parents are both originally from Louisiana, and they certainly have black and gold in their blood. I have many happy memories in that city.

And--for some reason--this year, I have been bitten by a seriously infective football bug--and I don't think I'm ever going back! I've always cheered for my teams--the Ole Miss Rebels and, when I paid attention, the Saints. But now--and I want to make clear that I am NOT a bandwagon fan--I am obsessed! Taylor keeps wondering who in the world has taken his wife, and who this strange crazy football fan is who has taken her place!

I'm actually a little sad that I haven't paid more attention to football all along. It's so much fun! And then, I could have suffered more fully through the years of this:





















But I am certainly glad to be getting involved at such a fun time!! Here is an excerpt from an article from the Baltimore Sun:

"Lord, how I want to be in that number.

On a raging Sunday in the bayou, they marched, through 42 years of football misery, through the jagged remains of human tragedy, to a Super Bowl that will surely taste like gumbo and feel like salvation.

In a chilly and deafening building that a few years ago was a symbol of Hurricane Katrina, the New Orleans Saints finally came marching in to an NFC championship victory that seemed as much destined as deserved.

"This is for everybody in this city who's had homes who used to be wet," Coach Sean Payton shouted after one of the most memorable, meaningful games in NFL playoff history.

At this, 71,276 fans shouted back, again and again, the Superdome transformed from a place of mourning to a cacophony of joy."

For any of you to made it down to New Orleans in the wake of Katrina--I know it must be pretty amazing to see the one of the crown jewels of the city, the Superdome, go from something like this:


...a place of pain, fear, loss, and destruction...to something like this:

A place of rejoicing, unity, and renewed hope. The team means so much to the city, and I'm so glad that they can overcome and rise to the newness of hope and victory together.

No comments:

Post a Comment