Thursday, January 7, 2010

Bienvenuto!

So night before last, Taylor informs me that we are going to have "Italian night"! He told me that I wasn't allowed to come in the kitchen, that he would let me know when everything was ready. So he stopped by the grocery on the way home,walks through the door laden with Kroger bags, and says "I'm going to need an apron." So I hand him his KA apron (yes, he has an apron with his fraternity letters on it. I have no idea.), and he goes to work. I prop my feet up and watch some tivoed HGTV, all the while hearing the clinks and clangs from the kitchen, with the delicious aroma increasing by the minute. Finally he lets me come in the kitchen and help him finish up (ie taste the pasta sauce!).

I wish I had taken a picture! It was a delicious meal--caprese salad with fresh Roma tomatoes, basil, and real Italian mozzarella; whole wheat spaghetti noodles with made-from-scratch meat sauce with lots of fresh vegetables; and hearty whole grain bread with olive oil and sea salt, toasted. Oh my goodness, it was good. Then while we ate our meal, we watched Good Fellas, a movie about the Italian Mafia. It is based on a true story, and is told from the perspective of a former mafia member who has gone in the Witness Protection Program. For some reason, I can't get enough of mafia movies. Most are kinda violent, which I hate about them, but there is just something about the way that the mafia works, and the fact that something like that actually exists in real life, that is just so intriguing and crazy!

We had so much fun with Italian night that we decided to do a French one next week! And so on, and so forth, after that! Spain, Portugal (anyone know any Portugese movies??), Mexico, Germany, India, Greece, etc. I am so excited. I'm not sure what we'll have for French night yet...although since Taylor did everything this last time, it may be my turn to do the cooking. I kind of want to make some amazing pastry or something. Anyone have any suggestions? We are going to watch this movie with our dinner:



I have been wanting to see it for years--I'm not sure why I haven't yet. But this is the perfect opportunity! Courtesy of wikipedia: Amélie is a 2001 romantic comedy film directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Its original French title is Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain ("The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain"). Written by Jeunet with Guillaume Laurant, the film is a whimsical depiction of contemporary Parisian life, set in Montmartre. It tells the story of a shy waitress, played by Audrey Tautou, who decides to change the lives of those around her for the better, while struggling with her own isolation.


I'm really excited to see it! For a couple of reasons--one, because I've been wanting to watch it for a while, and two.....because, in May, Taylor and I will be making a visit to see THIS!:

I am BEYOND excited!!! I have never been to Paris, and have desperately wanted to go for the last several years. This will be Taylor's fourth time (he's a well traveled kid!), so he will be able to play tour guide. Taylor's parents, Mark and Lisa, will be with us on the trip. Lisa worked as a flight attendant for many years, so she and Mark are also very well traveled--she is really talented at planning trips inexpensively and making the most of each day! We already have a day-long bike tour of Versailles planned, as well as a cooking class at Le Cordon Bleu. We will be staying in an apartment just down the street from the Louvre....and...drumroll please....right around the corner from that beautiful bridge where they kiss in all the movies!! Ha! I cannot wait. I really need to work on my French though. I know, oh ya know, like 3 words. No. Oui. Merci. I feel pretty intimidated by the language, honestly. I took 4 years of Latin in high school and 1 of Greek, followed by 2 years of Greek in college. I took Spanish once a week all through elementary school, which, surprisingly, when combined with the Latin and Greek, really sticks. I can stumble through a conversation in Spanish if I need to, especially if I'm listening more than speaking. I can also read Spanish somewhat. But French...it's scary! I guess because I associate the slight air of disdain that some Frenchmen and women have for Americans with learning the language. I consider it the most beautiful language of all though. I would LOVE to learn it. I think I'm going to download one of those free language learning programs from Itunes podcasts. To at least just listen to it. Maybe I'll try to watch some more French films as well.

So that's what's going on with us! Christmas and New Years were laid back and wonderful--lots of family and friends....and the Rebels winning the Cotton Bowl!! Hotty Toddy! I am back in the swing of things at school, which is both good and bad. I love routine, but wish that mine were a little more relaxed! I am working on two of my resolutions though--1)instead of freaking out when something goes wrong at school, trusting the Lord's sovereignty instead; and 2)looking at each day, appointment, encounter with a professor (even if the person is unkind)--as an opportunity and not a burden.

Cheers to 2010!

2 comments: