Sunday, October 18, 2009

Life

Obituaries are funny things. How do you sum up a person's life in 200 words or less? (At $1.10 per word, no less). How do you sum up their joys, trials, tribulations, jokes, sayings, hugs, secret thoughts? And those not-so secret. It seems wrong to reduce a life fully lived to 200 words. I guess you just have to understand that those words you write are simply the tip of the iceburg, and that a LOT of digging must be done if you want to begin to see the whole.

My grandmother passed away Friday afternoon. She was a wonderful lady, who left a widespread legacy of love, laughter and stories for her family to remember her by. She was a Christian, and I know that right now she is whole and happy and healthy and with the Lord right now, enjoying the splendors of the heaven that he has created for us. If we can recognize our loved ones in heaven, and I think that we will, at least in some sense, then she is head-over-heels in happiness right now because she is with the husband that she lost some 40 years ago, the sister she lost 20 years ago, and the son she lost a few short months ago. Her mind is sharp and clear, and she is no longer plagued by the cloudiness that had filled it over the last few years. She is probably singing in that rich practically baritone voice of hers, making some harmonies that our ears can't even conceive of here on this broken earth.

I will miss my Mimi very much. It hasn't even really hit me yet that she isn't here anymore. But I am so thankful for the resurrected body that she is living in now.

If you need any good reading on heaven, I would recommend Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven. (Creative title, huh?) I have been (providentially) reading that over the last several weeks, and it has helped me to be more joyful about this situation than I might have been otherwise. Alcorn's book is very scripturally based but appeals somewhat to the imagination too--which is what I think we have to do a little bit as humans whose minds are so small compared to that of God's. We do know for sure is that he has something planned for us that is much greater than what we can imagine.

I'll leave you with a couple of pictures of my sweet Mimi.




1 comment:

  1. I don't know you, merely stumbled upon your blog. Losing a grandparent (or any family member) is always difficult. Let me first say, I am sorry for your loss. I remember the death of my grandfather in June of 08 as if it had happened yesterday, and it never gets easier. Growing up, I was always told, "Time will heal all pain." I no longer believe in this. What if you don't want that pain to be healed? I don't want to forget what it was like to have them around, and that's basically what that saying tells us... "give it time and you will forget it all." Instead of living by "time heals all pain," I have begun to live by "time allows us to adapt." Adapt to what? Adapt to their absence. Time allows us to learn to live with that void in our life. We never have to fill it, we never have to forget it was there. We must, however, learn to live with their absence in our life. I hope you are able to adjust to this clearly profound absence, she seemed like an incredible rock in your life.

    I hope you take the time to sit around with family and laugh about the funny memories, the stories of her life growing up and growing old. They are there... find them and laugh.

    ReplyDelete