Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yummy Salad, Sweet Husband, and a Recap

I used a new salad recipe for our supper club last week, and it was delish! I will share the recipe at the bottom. But first--just want to give a shout out to my sweet husband. He cooked a REALLY tasty dinner tonight--homemade 3 cheese veggie pizzas on whole wheat flatbread with homemade tomato sauce (fresh roma tomatoes, onions, cilantro), red onion slices, bell pepper, mozz, cheddar, and feta. Are you drooling yet? Soooo good. I should have taken a picture of it because it was really pretty, and colorful too.

For the salad--don't be scared away by the coconut! You can barely taste it in this recipe--it has a really mild flavor when it's toasted. Also--a recommendation/caveat: Taylor and I both ended up with little burned spots on the end of our fingers from "candying" the almonds. I would buy already candied or spiced almonds, and it would work just as well.

Spinach and Strawberry Daiquiri Salad

PREP TIME
20 Min
COOK TIME
10 Min
READY IN
45 Min

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white sugar

1 (10 ounce) bag baby spinach, rinsed and dried
2 pints sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup toasted flaked coconut
1/2 red onion, sliced

Combine the lime juice, honey, poppy seeds, and mustard in a small bowl; slowly whisk in the oil. Combine the almonds, salt, and sugar in a large skillet. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until almonds are light golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove nuts from the skillet to cool.
Toss the spinach, strawberries, coconut, onions, and cooled almonds in a large bowl. Top with prepared dressing, and toss to coat.

And as for the recap: this summer has FLOWN by! Seriously, where has it gone? August is upon us. I feel like I have gotten a lot accomplished this summer though! Learned lots, grown lots. I did my first restorations (fillings, for you non dental people) and crowns, admitted several patients, and really began my life as a dentist (well, I'm at least on my way! Two more years of school, technically--but I really do think they're going to fly by).

Ok, so that was a very brief recap--but my computer is about to go into hibernation mode, and I am too tired to plug 'er in. So goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment