Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Patients. Otherwise Known as Patience.

So I pretty much have the sweetest patients in the world. One of them, an older gentleman, asked the other day if he could take Taylor and me out to lunch or dinner that day, and when I thanked him profusely but told him that we actually had plans, he forced me to take $20 dollars and put it towards our dinner!!


Another sweet patient brought me a Ole Miss fight-song-singing bottle opener at our second appointment. She is an artist who works in a lot of different media, and at our third appointment, she brought me a melted down wine glass, much like this bottle:




They can be used as cheese plates, like the one above, or spoon rests, depending on how big the bottle or glass is. My good friend Ann used these as bridesmaids gifts. I thought that was such a great and personal idea! My patient can put your name or wedding date on them too. I'm not sure of her prices, but I'm sure they're very reasonable. If you're interested, let me know, and I will give you her name and number! I think they'd be great for any occasion--birthdays, anniversaries (the couple's favorite type of wine, for example), etc.

Speaking of patients--in the last few days I have done my first fillings! The first semi-difficult one I did was on my Dad, which was kind of cool because he is a dentist, and things have sort of come full circle at this point. It was nice being able to ask his advice at different points during the procedure.

The reason for the title of this blog post: I think that dental school is the biggest teacher of patience I have ever had in my life. It's a hurry-up-and-wait atmosphere every day. The Lord is teaching me patience in a couple of different situations in my life right now: school (which will go on for the next 2 years!), as well as selling our house. It's easy in our culture to be accustomed to everything happening right when you want it, but the Lord teaches that we must depend on his timing and his sovereignty. So I am praying that I will look at all this patience-learning as an opportunity and not a frustration.


Randomly: Recipe of the Day

Blueberry Crunch

Also known as deliciousness. It is my friend Kerri's recipe--she and her husband Jonathan entertained us this weekend at their house in Brandon, and she made this for dessert. It's easy as pie. Easier, actually. Take a carton of blueberries and mix it with one can of crushed pineapple. Place into a cake pan or pyrex. Sprinkle the top liberally with yellow cake mix, until just covered. Melt a little butter and drizzle it over the top. Bake at 350 until top starts to brown, and serve with ice cream! Mmmmm delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment